Re: [opensuse-factory] Whither %systemd_requires, begone?

On Thursday 2016-05-26 05:31, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
I think "foo-systemd" must have a RPM requirement for "foo"
but "foo" must not have a RPM requirement for "foo-systemd"
when the plain "foo" software can run without systemd.

In "foo" a RPM recommends for "foo-systemd" could be correct
or (perhaps better) a "Supplements: foo" in "foo-systemd".

This would become a nightmare. A lot of people would only get
the main package installed but not the systemd start scripts.
In a lot of cases it doesn't make sense to evaluate recommends,
so we disable them. Else you would get installed all the packages
again you deselected before. And you don't want to do the deselect
step with every update.

I agree. This is unmanageable unless we can express dependency "if
systemd is installed then requires foo-systemd".

%package systemd
Supplements: packageand(%name:systemd)

But of course, if it is in any way approachable without hundreds of
extra little packages, that'd be great(er).