Re: [opensuse-factory] Whither %systemd_requires, begone?
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

On May 24 16:49 Jan Engelhardt wrote (excerpt):

About *all* of our packages also depend on the presence of the
"filesystem" package, yet there is no rpm require tag for that anywhere.
Therefore, 980389 suggested, in a note bene, to preinstall systemd
through these same means as aaa_base/filesystem rather than through
Requires(pre).

I do fully agree and even more:

In the end what I would like to have is that the package
that provides the actual software for a service provides
only the plain software (e.g. /usr/sbin/foo) but all what
belongs to using that plain software as a service should
be provided separated from the plain software.

I am thinking about a separated (sub)-package "foo-systemd"
that contains the systemd pieces for the "foo" software
(usually systemd unit files and systemd RPM scriptlets
and the %{?systemd_requires} RPM requirements).

This makes sense only if you want to support other service managers
and have choice between foo-systemd and foo-sysvinit, foo-upstart,
foo-openrc ...

Otherwise pray what harm single file installed on your system causes
you? If you do not want to use it, do not use it. You are not forced
too.

Without systemd or without "foo-systemd" it is up to the admin
how to launch /usr/sbin/foo when it should be used as a service.

I think "foo-systemd" must have a RPM requirement for "foo"
but "foo" must not have a RPM requirement for "foo-systemd"
when the plain "foo" software can run without systemd.

In "foo" a RPM recommends for "foo-systemd" could be correct
or (perhaps better) a "Supplements: foo" in "foo-systemd".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)