Re: [opensuse-factory] How Leap and SLE's timetable overlap
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 08:15:23 +0200
On středa 25. května 2016 2:08 Richard Brown wrote:
But I am certain that choosing 4.4 sets us in a very good foundation
for the future. Being an LTS kernel means we can be certain it will be
well supported for the full lifespan of 42.2 and, if we choose to not
do a kernel upgrade in 42.3, then we know that we still be on a very
well supported, stable, LTS kernel.

IMHO the way more important point is it's going to be backed up by SLE
maintenance process which is quite a big difference from openSUSE one.

Let's take a look at some numbers for recent/current openSUSE kernel
branches. Column "stable" shows number of commit id's inherited from
(upstream) stable-x.y updates, column "fixes" number of patches in
patches.fixes/ (which are supposed to be bugfixes), "sum" is the sum of
these two. The metric is far from perfect but it gives some picture:

branch based on stable fixes sum
openSUSE-13.1 (3.11) 665 259 924
openSUSE-13.2 (3.16) 856 187 1043
openSUSE-42.1 (4.1 - LTS) 2473 70 2543
evergreen-11.4 (3.0 / SLE11-SP2) 3778 942 4720
evergreen-13.1 (3.12 / SLE12-SP1) 6208 932 7140
openSUSE-42.2 (4.4 / SLE12-SP2) 1451 257 1708

First obvious observation is the big difference between the first two
(backed by neither upstream LTS nor SLE) and the rest. But it's also
apparent that relying only on upstream LTS releases would result in
missing a substantial number of bugfixes which were never included in
them. After all, these days one can say almost every kernel version has
an LTS process of some kind (e.g. out of the 13 versions from 3.12 to
4.4, only 4 do not). SLE maintenance is much more rare.

Also, with openSUSE kernel being essentially a SLE one, most openSUSE
kernel bugs are going to affect SLE as well which can help get kernel
developers' attention to them. After all, we already had three bugs
affecting SLE12-SP1 which were first found on Evergreen 13.1. With
larger Leap 42.2 user base and 42.2 going to be officially supported,
this synergy effect is IMHO going to be much stronger.

And I guess that's my point, right now, based on the information we
have and the points raised to date, I am utterly convinced that the
SLE 12 SP2 Kernel (4.4 with whatever backports are already there) is
the correct choice for Leap 42.2

Agreed. Throwing away the openSUSE-SLE synergy just to get higher
version number would be irresponsible, IMHO. After all, there is still
the option to run TW kernel on Leap for those who need support for some
new hardware but are not adventurous enough to go full Tumbleweed.

Michal Kubeček