Re: [opensuse-factory] EFI bootloader broken during update of Tumbleweed
  • From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:56:08 -0600
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Daniel Morris <danielm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Before going further, just to clarify, this is my main machine and has
booted scores of times since making a clean install of tumbleweed on
January 5th (to a fresh SSD). No other OS has been installed. I made no
changes to the BIOS settings, the logs show it was using grub2-efi, I
just simply applied many updates with zypper and powered off, oblivious
to the fact that one of the bootloader writes failed.

OK but your DVD is very clearly booting in CSM-BIOS mode, because
efibootmgr command isn't working.

If you used this same DVD to install Tumbleweed, chances are it did a
CSM-BIOS mode installation, rather than a UEFI one. And that might
also explain why the bootloader installation failed, is that it's
trying to write legacy bootloader binaries which might fail because of
the lack of a BIOS Boot partition, which is required when the firmware
is BIOS and the disk is GPT partitioned.

So you need to figure out how to boot from this DVD in UEFI mode. Or
you need to make USB flash media, which almost certainly will boot in
UEFI mode by default.

I don't remember how I burned the DVD, probably from k3b, certainly
using openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20160101-Media.iso, and I
always check the md5sum. The machine is 64bit Intel.

One other oddity I noticed was grub2-i386-pc is installed and wants to
remove all other grub2 packages if I try to remove it. I was expecting
grub2-x86_64-efi and grub2-i386-pc would be mutually exclusive.

They are. The system is booting in CSM-BIOS mode, which is what
grub2-i386-pc is for. If it were booting in UEFI mode, it would
install grub2-x86_64-efi.

--
Chris Murphy