[opensuse-factory] %license LICENSE vs %doc LICENSE
  • From: Dirk Müller <dirk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:11:57 +0100
Hi,

recently I've been made aware that other distributions are adopting
%license convention for tagging package licenses.

Technically this seems to be the same like %doc except that it copies
to %_defaultlicensedir instead of %_defaultdocdir. with other words

%license FOO

will copy FOO file to /usr/share/licenses/%name/FOO

What are the opinions around that? Since I'm collaborating packaging
with non-openSUSE distributions, I'd like to switch to that globally.
unfortunately this seems to be entirely broken on older distros, but
thats a 2nd step to take care of.

An alternative would be to redefine %defaultlicensedir to %docdir,
which would make install the file in the old location, and we could
use %license and %doc interchangeably.

I wanted to make sure we're aligned on this prior to discussing htis
with the openSUSE spec file reviewer team.

Thanks,
Dirk