Re: [opensuse-factory] [Leap 42.1] [LUKS password at boot]
  • From: Neil Rickert <nrickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 09:03:06 -0500
On Friday, October 30, 2015 09:14:47 PM 0x90 wrote:

I just installed leap on bare metal for the first time and ran into
the problem that I can not enter the password for my encrypted
partitions. To be more precise: No keyboard action possible.

installation: from usb (iso x86_64 build 265)

I had that problem up through Beta1, though it was fixed by RC1.

The problem was because one of the USB drivers was missing from the "initrd".
You seem to have a similar problem. You need to find what driver is missing,
then force that into the "initrd". You should also file a bug report.

The missing driver is in the system, for otherwise you would not have been
able to install. But if it is not in the "initrd", then you cannot use USB
devices for the encryption key.

Suggestion: Boot the install DVD. Get to a command line (either boot in
rescue mode, or use CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a command line). Then use "lsmod" to
get a list of loaded modules. Put that list into a file.

While booted to the DVD, mount your "/boot" somewhere, and run "lsinitrd" on
the "initrd" file. Put that into another file.

Then try to find which modules were actually loaded (the "lsmod" output) that
were not in the initrd. Among those, try to find which might be relevant to a
USB device. If you find the culprit, you can edit
"/usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/90kernel-modules/module-setup.sh"
to force that module into the "initrd".