Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed installation: when grub2 password set, user root and grub password asked at every boot
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 11:05:55 +0300
On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM, <stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it normal that I am asked at a promt at every boot "enter user", enter
password - signifying user root and password of the grub2?

It depends on what you have configured it.

I did set passwordprotected grub, but I was used to the behavior that you are
asked the password only if you set supplemental boot parameter. Has this
changed?

There should be "Allow to boot locked default entry without password" option.

Why am I asked for the "user". Isn't it expected by default that it is root?

yast-bootloader creates password for user root. But GRUB has no way to
know, if you want to authenticate yourself as user "root" or any other
user.