[opensuse-factory] New package for ARM: raspberrypi-firmware
Hello,

I have submitted the raspberrypi-firmware package for inclusion in Factory:

This package contains VideoCore IV binaries that are read from a FAT
partition by the Raspberry Pi boot ROM. Without these files neither the
ARM U-Boot bootloader nor an ARM kernel can be booted on that device.

It is not really needed on x86 systems, so as alternative we could
submit it to openSUSE:Factory:ARM instead. However, since in the past
some non-free binaries snuck into this package (disguised as
SUSE-Firmware instead of SUSE-NonFree license and probably without
obtaining permission first), I think it makes sense to have it go
through the full legal review process of openSUSE:Factory.

Similarly, I would like to split out arndale-bl1.img from u-boot package
as arndale-firmware (a signed version of GPL'ed U-Boot Secondary Program
Loader) and to submit odroid{,xu}-firmware at some point, possibly more.

This will allow us to build JeOS images for boards with upstream U-Boot
and upstream kernel support centrally in openSUSE:Factory:ARM rather
than in some Contrib project. In particular my intent here is to drop
the devel:ARM:Factory:Contrib:RaspberryPi:upstream project in favor of
openSUSE:Factory:ARM.

Regards,
Andreas

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)