Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap42 - something must be slowing down my system
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 09:24:20 +0100
Martin Schlander wrote:

Fredag den 23. oktober 2015 10:00:07 skrev Per Jessen:
Per Jessen wrote:
It's veryyyyy slow. It's nothing special, an HP xw6400. A couple
of
Intel 5130 @ 2Ghz with 2Gb RAM. A couple of SATA drives in RAID1,
graphics is a dual Nvidia Quadro 440. I use it exclusively for
testing Leap.

Locking the screen on an otherwise inactive system takes 11 seconds
from I press Ctrl-Alt-L. After that it takes another 15 seconds for
the icons (user,new,change) to appear on the locked/login screen.

To login, I need to click on the password field to move the focus,
takes 5 seconds. I type my 8-character password in a second or so,
but it
takes 5 seconds for it to appear as bullets in the password field.
In chunks of 2 and 3.

Any possibility this is graphics driver related? nouveau didn't
work, so I installed the latest (for this card) nvidia driver from
source.

For the moment, rebooting solved the issue - now I'll just wait a
couple of days to see if it slows down again.

If you're using KDE, you can "suspend compositing" (desktop effects)
with Alt+Shift+F12, and thus exclude that factor.

It's not unusual that some desktop effect(s) don't perform well with
some combinations of gfx drivers and gfx cards.

Yep, acknowledged - I have already disabled some of those, not sure if I
got them all. I'll check out "suspend compositing". For the time
being, the system is responding well, and it's been three days. I'll
wait and see.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.9°C)