Re: [opensuse-factory] Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?
Op woensdag 21 oktober 2015 15:18:19 schreef Carlos E. R.:
On 2015-10-21 07:35, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Tuesday 20 of October 2015 15:58:47 Carlos E. R. wrote:
And what would you use, for high performance video? I like Intel,
but it is not up to the task. The two contenders I know both
have proprietary blobs.

Not sure what exactly is "high performance video" supposed to mean.
For my purpose, radeon driver serves perfectly fine with both
2560x1440 at home and 2x1920x1080 at work. Haven't tried 4K yet as
those available at reasonable price today are all unreasonably
small so that there would be little use (for me) in buying one.

AMD also has proprietary drivers.

Of course, I'm not a gamer. If I was, I would probably need Windows
for games anyway and then the question of open/close source drivers
would be irrelevant.

I'm not a gamer either, but now and then I like to try something to
play, for relaxation. And games that use 3D rendering have problems
without proprietary drivers. Currently I don't have Windows games, and
there are, I think, two companies selling big games for Linux.

One simple 3D game for Linux, open source and using 3D, is "tuxracer".
From its description:

+++-----------------
extreme-tuxracer - Open source racing game featuring Tux the Linux Penguin

Extreme Tux Racer is an open source racing game featuring Tux the
Linux Penguin. ETRacer continues in the tracks of Tux Racer and its forks.
-----------------++-

It is a very simple game, but it demands quite a bit from the graphics
engine.

There are other non gaming, graphic intensive applications, but as I
don't use them I'd better not try to say which. blender?

Hey, not very long ago (2 yrs?) gnome refused to run without proper
acceleration.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Re. tuxracer/ETracer: When was this line on the demands writen? There's no
such thing as a 3D engine ( like in modern games ) in it. AFAIK it's over 10
years old, so I doubt it uses GPUs the way modern games do.

Blender is a good example AFAICT.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

Official openSUSE Member