Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Video performance [Was: Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?]
On 21/10/2015 2:37, Yamaban wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 02:09, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@...> wrote:

What do you need display speed for? :-?

I'm displaying raw photos in this laptop which only has an Intel
video. I notice no issues at all.
Possibly they even display faster tonight, that I'm using Windows :-p

Carlos, Carlos, ....

Think about a (semi-)professional photographer that does things like:
recalibrating colors (redshift, blueshift, ...)
recalibrating dynamic range (16bit/12bit/10bit to 8bit rgb)
mounting multiple singlurars to panoramas, with correcting angles, etc

Yes...

All this implies MASSIVE amounts of computations done.
for a single RAW, die difference between 60 seconds CPU
and 35 seconds GPU+CPU worktime is not the world.
Now, multiply by 500, for a full workday load.

Ah. You mean using both the GPU and CPU for running _code_, for which not only you need the proprietary driver, but also other drivers, plus specific applications that are able to offload processing into the GPU.

You could have just said what you were doing. Displaying a hundred raw photos is not the issue, it is something entirely different.

Having a 128 core CPU and working in parallel would also help, way more than a single GPU, I guess ;-)

--
Saludos/Cheers,

Carlos E.R. (Minas-Morgul - W10)