Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Leap42 - KDE Plasma5 segfaults, miscellaneous issues.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 14:25:07 +0200
Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [10-18-15 04:57]:
Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [10-17-15 13:40]:
Luca Beltrame wrote:

Il Sat, 17 Oct 2015 17:04:10 +0000, Luca Beltrame ha scritto:

They're no longer supported upstream:
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/
blog/2014/05/screenlocker-architecture-in-plasma-next/

I also forgot: this was also following a poll on the KDE
Community Forums where users expressed the removal of
screensavers favorably.

I guess there weren't any plain office users in that poll :-( Oh
well, screensavers are just nice, but people will live without
too.

assign a key shortcut: sleep 1; xset dpms force off
and:
xset s on 300 600 500

man xset

What does that do?

If assigned to a key combination (shortcut), will blank the screen
after a one second delay. Delay is necessary to defeat a timing
issue. Note: does not "lock" the screen.

You were interested in a "screensaver".

Patrick, I'm sure you misunderstand deliberately :-)

The lock feature is good, just what I want. For screensaver:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screensaver

"... or fills it with moving images or patterns when the computer is not
in use. Initially designed to prevent phosphor burn-in on CRT and
plasma computer monitors (hence the name), screensavers are now used
primarily for entertainment, security or to display system status
information."

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.5°C)