[opensuse-factory] Re: Re: Has kernel-desktop been replaced by kernel-base?
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 11:26, Michal Marek <mmarek@...> wrote:

On 2015-10-13 00:24, Yamaban wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:50, Roman Bysh <rbtc1@...> wrote:
Yep. The kernel-desktop is now history. We'll still need the kernel-desktop
for Evergreen.

Or we create a "switch-to-kernel-default" package, and name
that kernel-desktop. Spec-Content would be:

Require: kernel-default >= merged-version
Obsoletes: kernel-desktop >= merged-version

Or, would that be wrong?
Easier to maintain in the long run for sure.

How is it different from providing and obsoleting kernel-desktop from
withing kernel-default, like it is done in Tumbleweed?

Michal

Good question!

Short answer: Reality bites, is no-go on "zypper up"

Long answer:

Well, that works with "zypper dup" but hat been proven to be NOT
working with "zypper up".

For "zypper up" you NEED a package with the same 'name' as the one
you want to replace, even if it ist just a dummy package, as
proposed above.

This is especially important for update-only pathes like Evergreen.

For the update path, "satsolver" will not consider a package with
no prior installed version. and the 'name' kernel-default IS
different from kernel-desktop, ergo by itself, kernel-default
will NEVER EVER be considered a valid update for kernel-desktop.

My proposal is based on the existing reality, not on the
dreams (as nice as they are, at least in some cases) of the
programmers and maintainers.

The reality of this has bitten me harsh, more than once,
and I want to spare others to experience the same.

Addenum on the proposal above:

"kernel-default" spec should contain:
Obsoletes: kernel-desktop >= merged-version

- Yamaban.