Re: [opensuse-factory] Getting VMware Workstation to compile and run again on Tumbleweed using kernel-source-4.2.1
  • From: James PEARSON <pearson45j@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 19:21:39 +0200
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:26:28 +0200
Rainer Klier <rainer.klier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 11.10.2015 um 19:19 schrieb James PEARSON:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 10:51:06 +0200
Rainer Klier <rainer.klier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 06.10.2015 um 20:23 schrieb James PEARSON:

I was hoping that someone else on this list, who is using VMware would be
so kind as to comment on their experiences using VMware Workstation on
kernel 4.2.1-1 so that I can compare notes.

i updated kernel and then updated vmware to latest version.
then i compiled manually vmnet and vmmon modules, because the usual
"vmware-modconfig --console --install-all" does not work.
then i copied the kernel modules to the right place which is
/lib/modules/4.2.3-1.gef1562d-default/misc for me.
then i restarted the vmware services with /etc/init.d/vmware
then i had to add the following to /usr/bin/vmware:
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so.1:/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

then i was able to start vmware.

Hello

Thank you for the comeback.

My experience using VMware Workstation on Tumbleweed since I moved to kernel
4.2.1-1, is that VMware starts and works normally (once I managed to compile
the vmnet and vmmon modules that is).

My problem however is that my system has been crashing too often (i.e. my
screen just freezes (too) frequently).

The screen freezes can occur anywhere over a period of ~40 minutes after
startup to 6 or 7+ hours later. Network load could could a deciding factor.
I have no logs to back this up however
IMO, however these crashes are related to the fact that I installed kernel
4.2.1-1..

BTW, we both manually compile vmnet and vmmon modules and install them in the
same directory.
I have never had to export the LD_LIBRARY_PATH as you describe.

I am under the impression that if the system was a fresh install (in the
beginning) and not an update from another older version, one does not need to
play with LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order to get WMware Workstation to run.
YMMV as per usual.

Regards
James