Re: [opensuse-factory] i/o error on sdb shown in strg+alt+f10
On Saturday 10 October 2015 13.52:17 Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Thomas Langkamp
<thomas.lassdiesonnerein@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

since about 2 weeks I have random crashes of different apps on one of my
Tumbleweed machines. Strg+Alt+F10 shows i/o errors on /dev/sdb after such an
app crash. sdb is an SSD where root and home lived happily together for the
past 4 years.

Could this mean that my SSD dies?

Post a few sample errors and it may be possible to give an educated guess.

I find sata cables have to be replaced occasionally if they are flexed
or connected/disconnected often. The rated life a typical sata cable
is very few insertions (500 I think). They are cheap to buy. I would
try that as my first troubleshooting step.

And where is the output of Strg+Alt+F10 stored?
I can´t find the i/o error messages in /var/log/messages, dmesg,
xsession-errors or boot.log.

If they are "i/o errors" and not "media errors" then I suspect the
cables even more.

Greg

In exceptional case it is not the cable but more the internal of the ssd that
became crazy. I've seen that with samsung (a lot) a bit with corsair and not
with crucial
(yet?)
my M550 crucial is only 4817 hours on power....

The usual way when those kind of wired things arrive is to use what is called
secure erase.
This blank totally the ssd and make ram/chips in order.

With the corsair used under encrypted lvm ext4 (with 12.3/13.1) this appear
once every 2 years.
I'm now using kernel standard and a tricked lvm luks to enable trim on them.
and don't have
to redo the whole secure erase on the corsair ... But it doesn't have the
crashing lifetime
spend yet (should be around Christmas)

What is painful is backup everything, and restore. Hopefully big ssd and usb3
are no more
that expensive and fast ;-)

Also yes be sure to have the latest firmware installed.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Board, fsfe fellowship
GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
irc: tigerfoot