[opensuse-factory] ncurses spec
  • From: Tomáš Čech <sleep_walker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 08:02:35 +0200
Hi,

first, this is no attempt for trolling or wasting your precious
time. I only see room for improvement and can't really understand why
you handle ncurses in so complicated and "messy" way.

I was looking recently into ncurses spec file and I was more than confused:

1] why do you use screen during build? is that still valid requirement
or it is some remnant of old dark ages?

2] is really necesary to probe options through cflags()? Are these
options still required? How can one find that `-Wl,--hash-size=8599'
is the right value?

3] do we really want backward compatibility with ncurses 5.4 in
Factory/Tumbleweed/Leap? If so, why don't we use %ifarch for the
check?

4] what security benefit is in wiping TMPDIR?

5] gpm-devel library is not changing that frequently to have there
heuristics to find proper location

6] what is 'correct fallback.c'?

7] is there any effect of applying the same configure options multiple times?

8] why do we still build narrow character variant of libraries (in
Factory/Tumbleweed/Leap)?

9] what about generating two separate packages with separated ABI
version (ncurses5, ncurses6)?

10] why do we use different tack source? Are you aware of problems tack
author see in openSUSE?

http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/tack.html (License versus Packaging)

11] we do have patches guidelines, they may help understand why we
keep patches for months and why that patches were not pushed to
upstream

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Patches_guidelines

For completeness:

Base:System/ncurses/ncurses.spec has ~930 lines.

Fedora's spec file has ~270
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ncurses.git/tree/ncurses.spec

LFS meta-distribution has that really short as well:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/ncurses.html

Thanks in advance for answer. If there is anything I can do about
that, please tell.

For now I'm playing with ncurses package trying if I can do better in

home:sleep_walker:branches:Base:System/ncurses

Best regards,

Tomas Cech
Sleep_Walker