[opensuse-factory] Re: ncurses spec
On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 08:02:35AM +0200, Tomáš *ech wrote:
Hi,

first, this is no attempt for trolling or wasting your precious
time. I only see room for improvement and can't really understand why
you handle ncurses in so complicated and "messy" way.

I was looking recently into ncurses spec file and I was more than confused:

1] why do you use screen during build? is that still valid requirement
or it is some remnant of old dark ages?

The configuration of ncurses dependes on having a working terminal.
the screen utility is not from old dark ages but is still relevant.
Is you declare screen as old dark age and you declare ncurses
as old dark age.

2] is really necesary to probe options through cflags()? Are these
options still required? How can one find that `-Wl,--hash-size=8599'
is the right value?

I do this to speed up the load of the libncurses by the runtime
linker. And this speeds up a lot, more that 8599 is not worth
AFAIHS from my last tests.

3] do we really want backward compatibility with ncurses 5.4 in
Factory/Tumbleweed/Leap? If so, why don't we use %ifarch for the
check?

We do! The API of ABI 6 is different and there will programs
which requires ole ABI 5.

4] what security benefit is in wiping TMPDIR?

What is wrong with this? Remember that there are people which
building their own ncurses in their local setup.

5] gpm-devel library is not changing that frequently to have there
heuristics to find proper location

There are people which let system libraries move fro, /lib(64) to
/usr/lib(64)

6] what is 'correct fallback.c'?

Depends on the architecture. Do you have understood what fallback.c does?
It provides the fallback of the most common terminals if e.g.
/usr/share/terminfo
can not accessed due broken disk or in initrd.

7] is there any effect of applying the same configure options multiple times?

Yes, it overrides the already applied configure options.

8] why do we still build narrow character variant of libraries (in
Factory/Tumbleweed/Leap)?

Ask the people out there.

9] what about generating two separate packages with separated ABI
version (ncurses5, ncurses6)?

NO

10] why do we use different tack source? Are you aware of problems tack
author see in openSUSE?

http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/tack.html (License versus Packaging)

Tack is not part of ncurses and Tack has a different License.
Discuss this with Thomas E. Dickey and not with me.

11] we do have patches guidelines, they may help understand why we
keep patches for months and why that patches were not pushed to
upstream

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Patches_guidelines

Do you want become maintainer of ncurses?

For completeness:

Base:System/ncurses/ncurses.spec has ~930 lines.

Fedora's spec file has ~270
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ncurses.git/tree/ncurses.spec

LFS meta-distribution has that really short as well:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/ncurses.html

Thanks in advance for answer. If there is anything I can do about
that, please tell.

For now I'm playing with ncurses package trying if I can do better in

home:sleep_walker:branches:Base:System/ncurses

Best regards,

Tomas Cech
Sleep_Walker

With kind regards

--
Dr. Werner Fink -- Software Engineer Consultant
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany