Re: [opensuse-factory] 4 32-bit build fails in Leap:42.1 project
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:43:31 -0400
re-send in plain text

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 12:24 AM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/15/2015 8:04 AM, greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Interestingly I branched all 4 failures. 3 of them built fine for
32-bit, so the build errors appear to be transient (or build server
specific).

https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:gregfreemyer:branches:openSUSE:Leap:42.1?arch_i586=1&defaults=0&repo_standard=1&succeeded=1

Good for you Greg!

I was floored at the short-sightedness of the Leap team not building
for i586. As mentioned on the opensuse list, I would expected the i586
kiss-off to come from the bleeding-edge distros long before opensuse
abandoned 32-bit architecture. I guess the 32-bit users can migrate to
the bleeding-edge for the next update as Arch is still packaging i686 on
the 4.2 kernel (which stays current with kernel.org)

If the broken 32-bit packages needing attention becomes to much to
handle, shoot me an e-mail and I'll do what I can to breath life back
into a few.

It's ironic that this whole basis for this multi-year fangled
ringed-build system was sold as something that would make the build
process easier for the build team, so that more could be packaged,
tested with fewer bugs and less manpower. This seems to have paid off
in-spades as we are now cutting entire architectures because we don't
have enough manpower to build it anymore. Ironic...

Well hopefully through your effort, cooler heads will previal and the
new build system will show its worth with the 'i586' directory is
sitting side-by-side with the x86_64 dir, just as it always has, and
just as it should for the next 5 years..

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

David,

I believe one thought is to demote i686 (32-bit) to ports status.
openSUSE maintains Arm and PPC ports via separate teams.

As a maintainer, historically if I had a build issue that only
occurred on a "port" I might ignore it and a submission to factory
would still be accepted. But a build error in either i586 or x86_64
would block it being accepted.

I _assume_ the demoting of 32-bit to Port status means it will still
be on OBS, but packages building for it will no longer be mandatory
for factory inclusion.

Hopefully a small group of i586 enthusiasts with some programming
skills can keep it running for years to come.

Here's the current Leap:42.1 32-bit fail list:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/openSUSE:Leap:42.1?arch_i586=1&defaults=0&failed=1&repo_standard=1

It should be compared to the 64-bit fail list:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/openSUSE:Leap:42.1?arch_x86_64=1&defaults=0&failed=1&repo_standard=1

Both are similar size currently, but I would not be surprised if one
or two of the build failures are 32-bit specific.

Greg