Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-factory (1324 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: openldap packages
Hello All.

Sorry for a delayed response.

I just spoke with Peter and Peter reaffirms that the 2.3.x openldap client
libraries are indeed in-use, but only by SAP products as far as we know.

Due to the super-long life cycle of SAP products, the 2.3.x library cannot yet
be removed from openSUSE. But it would be a great idea to totally split 2.3.x
source code from openldap2 package.

How do you like this idea?

Kind regards,

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015, Michael Ströder wrote:

Ralf Haferkamp wrote:
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 08:21:35AM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
Hello Ralf,

Ralf Haferkamp wrote:
True. The 2.3.X based builts of the slapcat tool were included for migrating
from SLE10 to SLE11 (which already containted a 2.4 release). So I am not quite
sure why that is still there. IMO it would be ok to remove that part from the
packages now. (Note, I might be missing something as I am not currently actively
working on the packages)

Though having that semiautomatic migration was a specific
requirement for SLE11 back then.

Note that even the upstream package disabled SLE_11 builds and it does not
work IIRC because of missing krb5-mini:

In my package the builds for SLE_12 seems to work. But I can't test them since
I don't have a SLE_12 machine.

=> So there's no point to maintain this 2.3.x cruft (except compat libldap
2.3.x for legacy binary software).

Yeah. The compat libldap is a bit different. That probably has to stay in some
way (at least for SLE).

But who is going to maintain that? Likely not me because I can't test at all.

So how to proceed from here? Could someone please start a new
compat-libldap-2.3 package herein?
Yeah, that might be one solution. But I'd like to get Peter's or Howard's input
on this. I put them on CC in case they are not subscribed here. I am not even
sure if the compat libraries are still needed for SLE12. After all it's now
almost 8 years after the 2.4 branch saw its first "stable" release.


@Peter and Howard: When could this be decided? Which information do you need?

Ciao, Michael.

< Previous Next >