Re: [opensuse-factory] CPU overheating since recent update
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:32 AM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:47 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2015-04-29 22:01, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

This is not useful.

No fscking way is ASUS going to fix their BIOS for Linux users.

I understand he said that Windows had the same problem.

That's why I think it unlikely treating it as a software bug will help.

Even if it is.

There's no way to test fixes, because supposedly working kernels
(windows) still exhibit the issue.

But sure, testing a live media can't hurt.
Just an update on the tests you asked me to run: until now I could not
get the live USB to boot (it hangs at some point), and I can't let it
heat idle to see what happens, because it reboots after a while. The
fan does sound a bit louder, but this is only my inaccurate ear
measuring. I had to go to work, I will try troubleshooting why the
boot fails this evening, and if I still cannot boot, I'll try to start
the live USB with a hot CPU, to see if the fan goes berserk as it
should.

Good news, I think! The live USB did not seem to work: it still could
not get it to boot, and even if I start it with a hot (>80°C) CPU, the
fan doesn't seem to step up.

But. I landed on a list of kernel flags, and I tried a couple of them
out... just to see? Anyway, it turns out that if I boot my tumbleweed
system with "thermal.off=1", I lose the main temperature sensor, and I
*can* force the fan to full speed with pwm1_enable=1. The fan speed
reading is not any useful, but I can hear that the fan is notably
faster. And the remaining temperature readings are stabilized.

So, the fan is working at least.

After seeing all that, I rebooted (with the default boot flags this
time), pwm1_enable was still set to 1 (before that, it was always 2
after a reboot). Again, I could control the fan (stop it or set it to
full speed), and this time the fan speed readings seem to be accurate
(at least for high speeds). I have now set pwm1_enable to 2
(automatic), I will see how the temperature is in 30-60 minutes.

Thibaut