Re: [opensuse-factory] Road-map for openSuse 13.3?

On 29/04/15 19:41, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 02:54:30PM -0300, Cristian Rodríguez
wrote:

Neither is every single software product out there.. ;-) Please
make your case on what's the exact problem with having only
rolling releases.

For me, the main reason is the fact that upgrades necessarily
cause various kinds of problems from time to time. It's not only
bugs and regressions but also intentional changes in program
behaviour, config file syntax or semantics etc. It's acceptable for
me to do a distribution upgrade once a year or two (less often on a
server) when I reserve enough time to resolve these issues and I
expect things to be broken temporarily. Having such issues
continuously hitting me at random times in a "rolling upgrades"
model is not acceptable for me.

That's why I'm not using Tumbleweed on any of my machines and I do
not intend to.

Michal Kubeček

I considered Tumbleweed, but decided against it based on the advice
here: https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

I use the NVidia proprietary graphics drivers to control my twin
screen display. When I read the following...

"When you should keep staying at stable release

At this point there is no guarantee to have all additional modules
available in the stable release like for Vmware or Virtualbox. And
while the Packman Tumbleweed Essential repository attempts to deliver
them there is no guarantee they will always succeed due to the
incompatibilities with the quickly advancing Linux Kernel. The
problems with proprietary Graphics drivers are similar and there is no
guarantee they will work tomorrow, even if they do today. If you don't
know how to compile your own additional kernel modules and you don't
wish to learn or keep a very close eye on what is being updated,
please don't use Tumbleweed."

and

"Special Concerns

Third Party Drivers

If you have 3rd party kernel modules it is STRONGLY suggested that you
not use Tumbleweed. Seriously, it's not worth the pain and extra work,
unless you _really_ want to do it.

And if you do do it, then again, you are on your own, sorry."

...I accept the advice and stick with the stable releases. And even
that is not without the occasional problem. :-(

Bob
- --
Bob Williams
System: Linux 3.16.7-7-desktop
Distro: openSUSE 13.2 (x86_64) with KDE Development Platform: 4.14.3
Uptime: 06:00am up 7:55, 3 users, load average: 0.16, 0.05, 0.06