Re: [opensuse-factory] CPU overheating since recent update
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:32 AM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:47 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2015-04-29 22:01, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

This is not useful.

No fscking way is ASUS going to fix their BIOS for Linux users.

I understand he said that Windows had the same problem.

That's why I think it unlikely treating it as a software bug will help.

Even if it is.

There's no way to test fixes, because supposedly working kernels
(windows) still exhibit the issue.

But sure, testing a live media can't hurt.

I share your doubts on that, but the live medium comes with its own
kernel and its own bootloader, so I figure that there is a very slight
chance that it shuffles more parameters than other kernels sharing the
same bootloader.

I guess that the goal for now is precisely to get out of this
situation where we can not test fixes: if the live USB can "fix"
whatever is saved wrong in the BIOS, then even if the fan still does
not work properly with tumbleweed, there will be a good chance that it
will work for other distros and for windows. And then we will have
something to test against. I understand that it is wishful thinking
for now, but it is this kind of black magic that has already
mysteriously solved this issue twice, so... why not?

As for contacting ASUS, I already did that 3 years ago when I had this
issue for the first time. They didn't try to burn me or get me to
reinstall windows, but (as could be predicted) they could not give any
better advice than to bring the computer back to a repair shop. The
initial cost (of evaluating the issue) would have been 70€, for a
(then) 1-year-old 200€ computer. It was not worth it 3 years ago, and
it's even less worth it now.

And yes, I could buy a similar computer in the same price range today,
but this piece of hardware has proved reliable (yes...) and useful
over the years, way beyond what its pricetag could suggest, and I'm
not sure that this is a reproducible experience. ;-)

Just an update on the tests you asked me to run: until now I could not
get the live USB to boot (it hangs at some point), and I can't let it
heat idle to see what happens, because it reboots after a while. The
fan does sound a bit louder, but this is only my inaccurate ear
measuring. I had to go to work, I will try troubleshooting why the
boot fails this evening, and if I still cannot boot, I'll try to start
the live USB with a hot CPU, to see if the fan goes berserk as it
should.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks again all for your advice.

Thibaut