[opensuse-factory] Re: ntp does not start up correctly (was: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20150422 released!)
  • From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:19:52 +0200
Achim Gratz writes:
Did something in the way ntp gets configured change? Right after the
update I was down to 2 peers instead of five and after a reboot I have
noneā€¦ After a restart from YaST I have a single peer and after yet
another restart via systemctl I have two. :-(

I've been playing around with this a bit more. I normally use NM since
boot with wicked is so slow. With NM, the ntpd seems to listen on the
wrong interface (em1 instead of br0) when started during boot, but then
finds it should use br0 when re-started later on. With wicked it starts
up late enough for this to be no problem, so it find the right interface
at least.

With both NM and wicked, the ntp server proffered by my Router via DHCP
never gets used with the new ntpd even though it's listed in
/var/run/ntp/servers.netconfig. If I add the server by hand in
/etc/ntp.conf it gets used OK.

Why it sometimes doesn't use the three NTP pool servers listed in the
config is a mystery to me, the logs do not contain the DNS lookups for
any servers anymore.

Regards,
Achim.