[opensuse-factory] CPU overheating since recent update
  • From: Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:47:58 +0200
Hi,

The CPU on my EeePC laptop has been slowly overheating since yesterday
(24 April), shortly after performing an update. The last update I did
was on Tuesday (21 April), but I do not think the problem was present
after that.

The sensors seem to report flawed information, at least regarding the
fan speed: it is reported to be around 4000 rpm. The fan does spin (I
can hear it if I hold my ear really close to the chassis), but
definitely not at 4000 rpm (I remember from past issues that I
shouldn't need any effort to hear it at that speed). The reported
speed also sometimes drops to zero without any continuity.

I mention that the overheating is "slow", I mean that I can work
around 15 minutes before the computer shuts down, and that, idle, it
takes about 1 hour to reach critical temperature. If the fan was not
spinning at all, it would be 2 minutes.

Also, I could not get any form of manual control over the fan with
pwm1_enable set to 1.

Booting on a previous kernel did not help. If I boot on a different
distribution or on windows, the OS does not see the fan speed sensor,
and the computer overheats slowly all the same. But as I said, I
already had similar problems with this computer (the fan was not
spinning at all, then), and I remember that it showed across
distributions in the same way. If I remember, I concluded back then
that something had set a bios flag that prevented the bios from
handling the fan properly for other OSes.

I have uploaded some information about my hardware on
https://gist.github.com/ThibautVerron/27da7b4da3940f9894c0 .

Does anyone have any clue as to how to investigate (and hopefully fix)
the issue?

Thanks,

T. Verron