Re: [opensuse-factory] removal of obsolete packages (here: gstreamer-0_10)
On Fri, 2015-04-24 at 14:29 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

Would it be possible to get an overview just as the one above with
respective links wherever upstream has patches (if you find them
that
is). Once we know exactly what packages we really have to care
for, we
can take the decision much easier, instead of a meta-discussion
that
it would be good to get rid of it (off my head I know that pidgin's
patch set is in a terrible state - we had that for a while, but
reverted, and xfce still has an applet that depends on it - there
were
plans to get a PA frontend, not sure what the situation is there by
now).

There is a quick way to check all packages for possible source-level
compatibility with gstreamer-1.0:

- Create a new OBS project.
- Create a special prjconf:
Substitute: gstreamer-0_10-devel gstreamer-1_0-devel
.. and the same for all other sub-packages.
- Link there all packages that have gstreamer-0_10* in BuildRequires.

If such experiment makes sense, I could create it. I did something
similar for wxWidgets in past.

Hi Stanislav,

Can be worthy to do, just to get an overview again... generally, there
should not be that much eft:

zypper se -t srcpackage --requires gstreamer-0 | grep -v gstreamer-
0_10
Reading installed packages...

S | Name | Summary
--+-------------------------------+------------------------------------
-------------------------+-----------
| fillmore-lombard | Audio and Video Editors for GNOME
| srcpackage
| florence | Extensible scalable on-screen
virtual keyboard | srcpackage
| gnac | Audio converter for GNOME
| srcpackage
| gtkpod | A platform independent GUI for the
AppleĀ® iPodĀ® | srcpackage
| istanbul | Istanbul desktop session recorder
| srcpackage
| openfetion | IM Client for the Fetion protocol
| srcpackage
| pidgin | Multiprotocol Instant Messaging
Client | srcpackage
| pidgin-sipe | Pidgin protocol plugin to connect
to MS Office Communicator | srcpackage
| bundle-lang-common | Translations for a Group of
Programs | srcpackage
| bundle-lang-gnome | Translations for many GNOME
programs | srcpackage
| libnice | Interactive Connectivity
Establishment implementation | srcpackage
| ARToolKit_gst | Augmented Reality Tracking Library
| srcpackage

That's of course only the ones directly requiting it.. but that's
already a good starting point.

Out of those I know:
* pidgin: version 3.0 should resolve this. Patches landed in the tree,
but backporting seems a bit a mess.
* fillmore-lombard: that can probably be dropped anyway - there is no
real activity upstream and this is just bitrotting

The others I don't know their status by heart.

Dominique

--
Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger <dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>