Re: [opensuse-factory] Future of ext4 fs-level encryption in openSUSE
On Wednesday 22 April 2015 12:08:22 Darin Perusich wrote:
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Stanislav Baiduzhyi

<baiduzhyi.devel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, probably everyone has already read the news about ext4 fs-level
encryption for Linux 4.1. Out of curiosity (and because I'm a potential
target audience for that), what are the thoughts of openSUSE team and are
there any plans on introducing support for this into the installer in
following releases?
Personally I'd rather see better support for using ecryptfs, much like
in Ubuntu, for data and home directories. The layered file system is a
'cleaner' approach IMO, no need to remember to resize the device,
you're not forced into a fixed size/ungrowable home dir which is the
current mechanism.

Well, they promise much better performance and they are saying that encryption
will be directory-based (unless I'm wrong). Plus they say that main guy behind
ecryptfs is the lead on the project. So this time I expect improvement,
instead of just "doing things differently" as it is often the case.

--
Regards,
Stas