Re: [opensuse-factory] Bad mouse cursor control in Tumbleweed snapshot 20150418 with VMware Workstation 11.1.0
On 4/21/2015 11:43 AM, deoren wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for reading this.

Using Tumbleweed snapshot 20150413 I experienced no issues with lag or having Workstation
"grab the cursor". Now I can't seem to make cursor clicks on the bottom panel
register when outside of Fullscreen mode. Instead, the cursor is thrown outside of the VM
Window back to my Windows desktop.

I have not installed the tools provided by Workstation, and instead am using
the latest version of open-vm-tools included with Tumbleweed. As part of the
recent dist-upgrade, the open-vm-tools packages were upgraded from 9.4.6-2.13
to 9.4.6-2.15.

I grabbed these older RPMs:

* libvmtools0-9.4.6-2.13.x86_64.rpm
* open-vm-tools-9.4.6-2.13.x86_64.rpm
* open-vm-tools-desktop-9.4.6-2.13.x86_64.rpm

and downgraded using 'rpm -Uvh --oldpackage *.rpm', but after a reboot that
didn't help. Booting from the 3.19.3 kernel didn't help any either. I reverted
to an earlier VMware snapshot and that _did_ work, so presumably another
package is to blame, but I've not spotted it yet.

I'm running a pretty vanilla install of openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE as the
desktop option. Any tips/tricks? As I mentioned using the previous kernel or
downgrading the open-vm-tools packages didn't help.

Thanks in advance!

In the "Tw 20150418 with kernel-desktop-3.19.4-1.1.x86_64 breaks touchpad"
thread, Erwin Van de Velde pinpointed that the xf86-input-libinput package is to blame
for touchpad issues after upgrading to the 20150418 snapshot. I reverted to a 20150413
snapshot and blocked the installation of updates for that package and then upgraded to
the 20150418 snapshot. After rebooting and loading the new kernel and new open-vm-tools
modules I noticed no issues whatsoever with cursor control or mouse lag.

I couldn't find a way (like with Gentoo) to block just the specific version of
the package, so I blocked ALL updates to the package.

$ sudo zypper addlock xf86-input-libinput
Specified lock has been successfully added.

I checked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-vmmouse.conf conf file and found it to be
the same before and after the package upgrade. However I created a backup of
the existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf files and stashed them in
/tmp/old_conf_files/ (knowing that I had a VMware snapshot if I really needed
to jump back). I then removed the lock and upgraded the xf86-input-libinput
package.

After copying the conf files to /tmp/new_conf_files/ I ran a diff between the
two directories and found that there is a new file in the directory:

$ diff -u -r /tmp/old_conf_files/ /tmp/new_conf_files/
Only in /tmp/new_conf_files/: 90-libinput.conf

I renamed it to *.disabled and after a reboot my mouse cursor is completely
normal: capturing/releasing fine and no lag.

Contents of that file:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf.disabled
# Match on all types of devices but tablet devices and joysticks

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "libinput pointer catchall"
MatchIsPointer "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "libinput keyboard catchall"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "libinput touchscreen catchall"
MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can find the conflict, but for now
I'm just going to leave that particular conf file named as
90-libinput.conf.disabled so it won't be used.