[opensuse-factory] Virtualbox not starting up - Effective UID is not root
  • From: Robert Munteanu <robert.munteanu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:59:45 +0300
Hi,

After yesterday's TW update I found out that the VirtualBox GUI no
longer starts. Instead, an error dialog pops up which says:

Effective UID is not root (euid=1000 egid=100 uid=1000 gid=100) (rc=-10)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

chkstat seems to think that permissions are incorrect

# chkstat --warn /etc/permissions.easy
Checking permissions and ownerships - using the permissions files
/etc/permissions.easy
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSDL should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl should be root:vboxusers 4750.
(wrong permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)

but when applying it refuses to do so

# chkstat --set /etc/permissions.easy
Checking permissions and ownerships - using the permissions files
/etc/permissions.easy
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox: will not give away s-bits on an insecure path
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless to root:vboxusers 4750.
(wrong permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless: will not give away s-bits on an insecure path
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSDL to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSDL: will not give away s-bits on an insecure path
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl to root:vboxusers 4750.
(wrong permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl: will not give away s-bits on an insecure path
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP: will not give away s-bits on an insecure path
ERROR: not all operations were successful

I "fixed" this manually with

# chmod 4750 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSDL
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP

but this will probably reappear when I next update so I'm interested
in a more permanent solution.

What's the proper solution to this issue?

Thanks,

Robert

--
http://robert.muntea.nu/