Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] register static UID/GID on openSUSE?
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:40:00 +0200
Tim Serong schrieb:
On 04/14/2015 03:04 PM, Tim Serong wrote:
A long time ago, there was a thread regarding UID/GID registration (see
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2009-05/msg00221.html).
AFAICT the question "how can one register a static UID/GID in the 0-99
range" wasn't answered.

Does anyone know if there are still any spare UIDs in the range 0-99?
Someone told me there weren't but I thought I'd better raise this here,
just in case there are. And if there are any available, how do I
reserve one?

There is no defined process to register uids there and I don't think we
should start doing that again.

Context: the ceph project wants to reserve a UID/GID - being a
distributed storage cluster, it's best if the UID/GIDs remain static
across the whole cluster, and the most straightforward way to do this is
to hardcode a UID/GID in a useradd/groupadd invocation in the rpm %pre
script.

Currently the best way to do that is to have the admin pre-create the
user before installing the package.

There is still no cross distro uid registry. The Idea was taken to LSB
but saw no progress:
https://github.com/LinuxStandardBase/lsb/blob/master/documents/wip/userNaming.txt

cu
Ludwig