Re: [opensuse-factory] Graphical Plymouth Themes not working in Tumbleweed, Text Mode Themes works fine
  • From: emanuel <emanuel.castelo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 01:33:29 -0700
On Saturday, April 04, 2015 08:07:47 Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 04/03/2015 12:04 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
В Fri, 03 Apr 2015 17:12:09 +0530

Sumit Bhardwaj <sumitkbhardwaj@xxxxxxxxx> пишет:
Hi All,

Not sure whether this is this is the correct place to discuss this. I am
currently on the latest tumbleweed snapshot (20150330) with kernel
3.19.3-1-desktop X86_64 and Gnome 3.16. Since Last few updates, Plymouth
themes that display some graphics or animation like the default openSUSE
theme etc do not work. Instead the text theme with 3 question marks at
the center of screen kicks in.

If I set it to some text based theme like tribar, details etc, it works
fine. From the look of the display, it seems there is some problem with
Plymouth while switching to the graphical mode.
BTW, I am using it on a Thinkpad X240 with Haswell Core i7 4600U, 8 GB
RAM and Intel HD4400 graphics.

Can anybody guide me how to resolve this? I am new to openSUSE but I
have been a Linux user since 8-9 years, mostly Fedora and little bit of
Debian experience as well.

Thanks.

This is likely the same problem as discussed recently on systemd list.
Plymouth needs graphic driver loaded and fully initialized to display
graphic theme. It does use (indirectly) udevadm settle but it now exits
immediately if queue is empty. Which means plymouth can be started too
early.

I had this same problem, cleared it up by using YaST-->Boot Loader to
recreate all of the boot stuff and splash now plymonth now works as
expected.
Oh, I had a boot problem after one of the upgrades that forced me to
recreate the boot loader stuff, next boot plymonth worked as designed.

I removed all of plymouth just because, i dont see much boot-up and the system
does not complain, just a thought,
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/b9f6866098e417ff8d56