Re: [opensuse-factory] Booting into runlevel 3 no longer possible by appending 3 to the kernel line
  • From: Emil Stephan <Emil.Stephan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 13:54 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 2. April 2015, 13:07:54 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Thursday 2015-04-02 12:46, Felix Miata wrote:
Some time in the last month Tumbleweed lost the ability to boot into
runlevel 3 (command line with no X server running) by appending a 3 to
the kernel line in the grub menu. I guess that's because with systemd
there are no numbered runlevels anymore, but I wonder, what the
replacement is?

Does it still occur for you and have you not changed klog units since?
If so, run and paste

systemctl status klog

â klog.service - Early Kernel Boot Messages

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/klog.service; enabled; vendor
preset: disabled) Active: active (exited) since Thu 2015-04-02 06:38:26
EDT; 2min 30s ago
Thanks. I too observe the same output.

`systemctl status klog` on TW:
loaded (/usr/.../klog.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
`systemctl status klog` on openSUSE 13.2 however reports:
loaded (/usr/.../klog.service; disabled)

So, *someone or something* caused klog service to become enabled all
of a sudden. That in turn means that klog's requirements are being
started on boot. Since klog requires "default.target" (which is
equivalent to graphical.target), graphical parts will be started even
though you have "3" on the boot line.

systemd is working properly.

But you might want to ask Werner Fink / mtomaschewski about
klog.service.
Hallo Jan,
this can explain my observations. The behaviour holds not only for the kernel
parameter, but also for using the commands 'init <runlevel>' and 'systemctl
isolate <target>'.
If the default.target is set to multi-user. i could change between multi-user
and graphical with all three methods. If the default.target ist set to
graphical. i could only change between graphical and graphical.

For me the question is: Why requires klog.service default.target. It need
local-fs to access /var/log. It needs virtual consoles for /dev/tty10.

Another question is: Do we need klog any further? I assume, we can see the
messages, that go into /var/log/boot.msg, with journalctl too (but only as
long as the system runs, i think).

Regards, Emil
--
Registered Linux User since 19940320