Re: [opensuse-factory] Adding SSDs?
  • From: Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 11:37:50 -0400
Hi Hans,

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 23:06:09 Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Tue, 2014-03-11 at 13:41 +0800, Jason wrote:
Run them as you'd normally do, there's no need to complicate things. It's
state of the art technology and everything is basically done for you by
the
fw.

That said, you should read these few links[1] and balance it out
basically.
Alignment is what is most important when setting up the partitions for
life
and performance. Other than that, ext4 mount flags and mindful use of high
I/O operations is enough.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives
https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization

Has ssd quality improved that much?

Couple of years ago i replaced a normal hdd with a 30GB sdd, and
installed the distro on it. However, the swap certainly killed the sdd.

What makes you think swap killed it and what brand was it? Usually the way it
fails tells you what happened. If you started to have lots of freezes,
corrupted data, rw errors, this are cells deteriorating. If it failed
suddenly, it is most likely the controller itself that crapped itself.

Yamaban already gave hw review, but to add: You want to go with the name
brand, same as with HDDs. It's anecdotal, but Intel's ssds are reliable as
long as the models are equipped with their controller. Models with I think
sandforce controller have higher failure rate, but still nothing to worry
about.
Also, Samsung seems to be good these days, they probably learned their lesson
first time around. Toshiba is also good. Most of the SSDs use Toshiba's memory
so one shouldn't go wrong with it.

At all costs avoid OEM solutions, you want to have clear fw update path and
proper support.

Also, lower sizes, like 30GB or so, are much slower and usually used only as
caching drives. You don't really want to go below 80GB.

Even reading above links doesn't make me feel better, quoting:

"One can place a swap partition on an SSD. Most modern desktops with an
excess of 2 Gigs of memory rarely use swap at all. The notable exception
is systems which make use of the hibernate feature. The following is a
recommended tweak for SSDs using a swap partition that will reduce the
swappiness of the system thus avoiding writes to swap:
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness"

So what they write is: Yes you can put swap on an sdd, but do not forget
to disable swapping. Not very helpful.

As I said, pick out a balanced approach, most of the writeups are overkill.
In my case, starting with max 4GB RAM limitation on laptops, swap is disabled
on my machines so I can't give you feedback on that and I'm not adjusting
anything from the system side except the initial setup to start with, btrfs
and noop elevator.

What I can tell you though is that I'm not treating them any different than a
regular drive and I abuse the fact they're fast:) What I provided is all
anecdotal evidence though.

Kind regards,
Jason