Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Adding SSDs?
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Yamaban <foerster@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:33, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@...> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:11 AM, Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 13:18:24 Greg Freemyer wrote:

<snip>

btw, your mails might as well be copy/pasted to the wiki:)

I wrote most of discard / trim wiki page I pointed out. I guess it is
time for me to update it. Things have changed some in the last 4
years.

Would it be sensible to add fstrimming to cron.d since it's this
stable and recommendable ?

Out of curiosity: what will happen if one does use "fstrim" on a
rotating disc type HDD ??

This:

fstrim: /srv: FITRIM ioctl failed: Operation not supported

Though, the real danger would be bad firmware. If fstrim was done on
firmware that has bugs related to fstrim, that could do something bad.
I don't know what the status of firmware in this respect is.