Re: [opensuse-factory] Adding SSDs?
  • From: Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:03:04 +0800
On Monday, March 10, 2014 23:20:17 Yamaban wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 23:05, Thomas Taylor <tommyttt5@...> wrote:
Are SSDs (solid state drives) well supported in factory versions? Anybody
have any hints or gotchas?

As long as you respect the 'provisioning' that SSDs of today still need
(keep ca 20% of the raw chip-capacity unpartioned, see manufacturer specs)
you will most likely get at least 3 years nonstop use before the
wear-levelling has eaten up that unpartioned area.

cca 20% of total capacity is reserved by firmware itself, there is no reason
whatsoever to partition it differently than regular HDD.

If there is not much I/O going on, ie compiling, ssd should survive for a at
least 5 years.

Otherwise? Well, btrfs respects modern SSDs wrt clearing freed-up space,
ext4 about the same, have yet to hear negatives on XFS on SSDs.
More a matter of personal taste.

I'd say that since 12.3 OSS is ready for SSDs. Nothing special on factory
so far.

- Yamaban.