Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Adding SSDs?
On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 03:07, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@...> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM, Yamaban <foerster@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Otherwise? Well, btrfs respects modern SSDs wrt clearing freed-up space,
ext4 about the same, have yet to hear negatives on XFS on SSDs.
More a matter of personal taste.

Don't you have to explicitly set the discard flag for it to work, at
least in ext4?

Sorry, forgot to mention that:

I'm using fstrim to discard via own entry in "/etc/cron/daily/zz_local"

see "fstrim --help", it boils down to a line with

"ionice -c3 fstrim [mountpoint]"

for every ssd-partition.

The discard option causes to much lag (for me) in I/O during the
delete op. Cron makes it easy to do it during the slow hours (night)

Cheers, Yamaban