Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Release lifetime
  • From: Jason <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 20:52:11 +0800
On Sunday, March 09, 2014 10:47:59 Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 15:53 +0800, Jason wrote:
Hi Hans,

On Saturday, March 08, 2014 14:40:41 Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 15:48 +0800, Jason wrote:
Something like a weeping gecko, while booting?
<snip>
Hi Jason,

No, won't work.
With some people within the OS-comunity we respond to a request to
provide an stable alternative for people currently using XP, with no
knowledge/experience to perform those elementary functions that you and
i perform on a daily bases.

Ok, but having system behave in a non transparent way just to lower the
entry bar isn't really acceptable. I even has second thoughts about the
wp thing, as this could potentially upset some but it does seem to be
sensible end scenario We're long past (heavy) manual labor on Linux and
today it works extremely well therefore having basic
training/flyer/webpage for such occasions should suffice.

Hence we are making a distro on a stick, and one of the questions was
about the updates after 13.1 becomes eol.

Therefore the info landing page ie opensuse.org/EOL.

Suse also has 1-click install so in case the current running version is
applicable to EG it could contain 1-click install for either EG or the
next
version.

For all those who do updates automatically, it would be a nice feature
if they could switch to evergreen without any enduser interaction.
Probably a rediculous feature for 90% of seasoned linux users,
but for former XP-addicts a life saver.

If it ever happens in non-transparent way as you seem to suggest, I'd be
first to move on to another distribution:)

Never, ever is acceptable to switch something as essential as repo list
without user knowing and accepting said change by typing in admin passwd.

Yeah ok.
I think i pecked too fast at the keyboard.
Generally speaking, even during the normal life cycle, people have to
enter the root-pwd for accepting any patches.

AFAIK updates going through Apper are automatically authorized?

So at EOL, if they get an pop-up with an "OK" button fo0r accepting the
change (and the mandatory root-pwd) should be at one hand safe enough,
and at the other hand simple enough for noobs.

hw

Ok, I could see it popping up same as EULA where you have to accept it for
pertinent package to be installed.
Though, since the release is already up to date, you'd still have two options,
do a dist-upgrade or continue with EG if applicable to the running version so
it still leaves a lot to be desired.

Kind regards,
Jason