Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Release lifetime
  • From: Hans Witvliet <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 10:47:59 +0100
On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 15:53 +0800, Jason wrote:
Hi Hans,

On Saturday, March 08, 2014 14:40:41 Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 15:48 +0800, Jason wrote:
Something like a weeping gecko, while booting?

But seriously, i've got a related question from an end-users group.
(real end users, who are never/seldom installing anything, ans that we
are ging to provide with a sudio-stick)

In case of an EOL-package, it might be nice if it could change the
repo-url towards "Evergreen"....

Hans

Hmm, I was aiming at something more definitive and descriptive enough for
users to make the choice themselves.

For the option you stated you (plural) might as well have package set the
EOL wallpaper with the instructions ie stating system OS reached end of
life and 'please visit <opensuse.org page> with instructions on how to
change to EG repos OR repo change to next release.

Hi Jason,

No, won't work.
With some people within the OS-comunity we respond to a request to
provide an stable alternative for people currently using XP, with no
knowledge/experience to perform those elementary functions that you and
i perform on a daily bases.

Ok, but having system behave in a non transparent way just to lower the entry
bar isn't really acceptable. I even has second thoughts about the wp thing,
as
this could potentially upset some but it does seem to be sensible end scenario
We're long past (heavy) manual labor on Linux and today it works extremely
well therefore having basic training/flyer/webpage for such occasions should
suffice.

Hence we are making a distro on a stick, and one of the questions was
about the updates after 13.1 becomes eol.

Therefore the info landing page ie opensuse.org/EOL.

Suse also has 1-click install so in case the current running version is
applicable to EG it could contain 1-click install for either EG or the next
version.

For all those who do updates automatically, it would be a nice feature
if they could switch to evergreen without any enduser interaction.
Probably a rediculous feature for 90% of seasoned linux users,
but for former XP-addicts a life saver.

If it ever happens in non-transparent way as you seem to suggest, I'd be
first
to move on to another distribution:)

Never, ever is acceptable to switch something as essential as repo list
without user knowing and accepting said change by typing in admin passwd.

Yeah ok.
I think i pecked too fast at the keyboard.
Generally speaking, even during the normal life cycle, people have to
enter the root-pwd for accepting any patches.

So at EOL, if they get an pop-up with an "OK" button fo0r accepting the
change (and the mandatory root-pwd) should be at one hand safe enough,
and at the other hand simple enough for noobs.

hw