Re: [opensuse-factory] Release lifetime
* Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2014-03-06 21:49]:
I just noticed today of another user not knowing that 12.2 was not
maintained anymore. In fact, he asked why he was getting an error:

Warning: Repository 'openSUSE-12.2-Update' appears to be outdated.
Consider using a different mirror or server.

Could we somehow have something (YaST?) warning the user when the
system he is using is close to the end of its supported lifetime, or
past it?

There could be a package or file, part of aaa_base or
openSUSE-release perhaps, or a dependency, updated just at the
lifetime end, that changes a file telling YaST to warn the user.
Then, if the system is switched over to evergreen, that file gets
updated, and there are no more warning, till evergreen stops
maintenance as well. The admin could override that file easily, if
he wishes.

Would this be feasible? :-)

It could be a line in /etc/os-release, containing the end date. The
format admits customized extensions. Then a check when yast starts,
or some modules of it.

This is already being done through a maintenance update to
release-notes-openSUSE at EOL time. E.g. for 12.2 this was
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:12.2:Update/release-notes-openSUSE.2486
--
Guido Berhoerster