Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] Maintainers wanted for Dracut and Plymouth
Le mardi 04 février 2014 à 11:13 +0100, Ludwig Nussel a écrit :
Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le mardi 04 février 2014 à 10:41 +0100, Ludwig Nussel a écrit :
Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le mardi 04 février 2014 à 06:14 +0100, Raymond Wooninck a écrit :
On Sunday 02 February 2014 12:24:29 sfalken@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I could take one of them over, Raymond. Don't have any particular
knowledge about either package, but I've got the time.
Hi Shawn,

Great. Thanks a lot. As discussed on IRC, I will transfer today the
"ownership" of DRACUT to you on OBS and bugzilla.

Only package remaining is Plymouth and I guess that people rather see it
disappear than to help out.

No, I don't want to see it disappear at all (since it has replaced all
other boot splash alternative, for the good) but I don't have time to
maintain it.

How long does the average system nowadays take until X starts up? If
there is a black screen for a few seconds, so what? That's the time the
initrd takes to load if plymouth is in there anyways ;-)

Plymouth also allows smooth transition (no flicker) between splash and
display manager.

Ok, that sentence compares plymouth to other splash solutions but it
makes no statement about the situation compared to a boot with no splash
at all.

Isn't it simply
bootloader -> resolution switch -> black screen -> X
rather than
bootloader -> resolution switch -> fancy screen -> X

Not everybody is lucky to have an SSD and a system booting in 5s.

And it can display a non frightening UI to request
passphrase for encrypted disk.

It could but it doesn't in 13.1 because it's broken. So plymouth gets
disabled if root is encrypted and the initrd prompts in text mode.

Strange, I'm still getting a passphrase prompt in plymouth on 13.1 on my
system ;)

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx>
SUSE