Re: [opensuse-factory] Timeline and roadmap V2
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 00:45:59 +0100
I would like to add my own comments to Robert's email

On 3 February 2014 00:15, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/02/2014 05:45 PM, Greg KH wrote:

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 08:46:36PM +0100, agustin benito bethencourt
wrote:

<snip>

Where is the openSUSE board in this whole mess?

We (the openSUSE Board) received this announcement the same way
everyone else did, in these mailinglists.
I think this is generally a 'good thing' - as a Board we want to work
in the open as much as possible, following the same model we wish to
encourage for the whole project;
I don't want the Board to become some secret filter stuff gets sent to
before public release.
I do think it's possible to work 'in the open' without including
''really scary announcements' that cause significant uncertainty for
our Project. But that requires certain principles to be followed, or
else stuff like this happens.

A lot of the issues being discussed are technical in nature, what is the
work flow, how is factory maintained/developed, what does the release
process look like? As such the board charter is to stay out of the technical
stuff. This can be changed, but needs a community discussion and decision.

And I think this situation has brought to light an issue - some
'technical' decisions have 'project-wide' implications
Changing how Factory is put together is a technical decision I think
everyone can agree would be left to those actually working on Factory
(ie. not the Board) - while it of course has a 'project wide'
implication, it's mostly contained to those doing the work on Factory,
and in the spirit "of those who do, decide", I think it's best that
the Board keep their nose out of it.

However, "the entire team that works on X is going to work on Y for 6
months" is a decision which has project-wide implications - it hits
our users, it hits our other contributors, and I think there is to be
a case to be made that it transcends the simplistic argument that
"it's a technical decision". This decision has impacts that I'm only
just starting to realize, like the fact that as part of the GNOME team
I'm going to now have to help support 12.3 for longer than we had
planned for.
The openSUSE Team isn't the only team who potentially could have such
a big impact on the Project (I can imagine the chaos us in the GNOME
team could cause), but thankfully I can think of no other example
where it's been the case of a team working in this way, and handling
it's communication about it's decisions in this way (and I hope we'll
never have one)

But should they occur again, perhaps the Board should be more closely
involved in those kind of situations BEFORE they hit the lists, at the
very least to advise and guide those wanting to make those changes,
and (probably just as useful) be involved in actually transitioning
and mitigating the impact on the Project - something I think we could
have done with in this case.

Maybe we need a bigger stick. To be honest, I'm not sure about much on
this topic, just my displeasure with the current situation and my
desire to change it, quickly.

This is something I expect we'll discuss at our Face 2 Face meeting
this coming weekend.

It seems that they were
not part of this announcement and given their individual responses, the
non-Novell/SuSE members seem really opposed and upset as well.

It's as if the board really isn't part of the guiding process for this
project, and that's not a nice feeling to be perpetuating,

Agreed, it's not.

We as the board have advised on a number of occasions that the actions we
were observing for the path being taken would easily be interpreted as
divisive, would create uncertainty and unrest. In the end this is all we can
do. As the openSUSE board we are just members of the community, we do not
have the right or power, nor should we have such, to tell people what to do
or to decree gag orders. We can only encourage people to be considerate of
their actions and abide by our guiding principals.

The openSUSE Board