Re: [opensuse-factory] wicked wicked
On 01/23/2014 10:24 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 01/23/2014 08:51 PM, Felix Miata pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Yesterday I installed fresh. Result was too much screwed up to make
sense of it all. I tried zypper rm wicked, but couldn't get network to
work except by using yast to delete NIC and add it back at every boot.
Network@eth0.service refused to survive boot, if it ever got created at
all. I couldn't find any wicked instructions anywhere on opensuse.org.
Its man page is too terse for me to get a useful enough amount out of
it. So I decided to install all over again, starting by tabooing wicked.

Tabooing wicked deselects zypper, and breaks too much to remember it
all, a vast amount of yast, making software selection during
installation take horrendous extra time clicking all those break xxx
instead of allow wicked to be installed dialogs. e.g. inexplicable ones
like yast2-users.

Ifup has always worked nicely with single NIC systems on a 100% wired
LAN, no network "management" required. Why does unneeded network
"management" need to be entangled in everything as wicked appears to be?

Because the devs will never learn the lesson that they need to get something new
/working/ BEFORE making it the default. Does KDE4 and systemd ring any bells?
:-)

I won't go so far as to say that the devs will never learn; however, wicd (aka wicked) is extremely wicked. I installed a copy to test something for a user, and I also was unable to return to NetworkManager when through. The only thing was to reinstall.

Larry