Re: [opensuse-factory] O Factory - Where art Thou?
Josef Reidinger - 17:17 28.11.13 wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:56:24 +0100
Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28.11.2013 16:53, Josef Reidinger wrote:
But this stage can be avoided IMHO. We do not need ISOs to test
GCC, kernel or systemd. The ISO is needed to test the installation
process: YaST, KIWI or whatever tool is used in the medium.

Sorry, but I completelly disagree. Maybe it is because I am in Yast
team, but you can be surprised how many Yast "bugs" is caused by
problems in underlaying layers. Yast start bunch of various scripts,
try to manage services in systemd and a lot of similar things. So if
systemd is broken or even if they incompatible change behavior Yast
start failing without any changes in Yast code.
And in fact it is often source of broken Yast code, that noone told
us that something change in system and we do not adapt Yast code to
this change.

Yeah, I agree Alberto's examples are wrong. But there are updates that
are indeed hard to break yast with, e.g. chromium updates. We don't
need ISOs for *that* :)

Greetings, Stephan

Yes, iso is not needed. But it would be nice if we have also automatic
test for it ( of course I expect that we start with important packages
to cover ). At least simple install and run it if some window appear
and try to show opensuse.org page can be enough.

Well, we have automatic test for this - openQA ;-)

I agree that iso for stuff that do not affect installation is not
needed. Still I think it should be covered. In past I play with
something similar and having cloud for this task and midnight snapshot
of latest factory is make task much easier. You simply say that you
want machine with the latest snapshot, run some tests there ( like
update of package, start it etc. ) and then kill machine. For
non-trivial testing including browser, synchronization of repositories
and creating rpm repository metadata it took around 1 hour, which is
still for me acceptable time.

We hope to use openQA for something like this as well in the future...

--
Michal HRUSECKY SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.
openSUSE Team Lihovarska 1060/12