Re: [opensuse-factory] Your thoughts on dropping pm-utils

On 2013-11-28 16:21, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 28/11/13 12:09, Carlos E. R. escribió:

Some cards have to be reloaded.

if by that you mean network cards need the driver to be reloaded,
please file a bug report against the kernel indicating what driver
has this problem.

AFAIK, I don't have such a card, so I can't write that bugzilla. Ask
the wifi experts.

will it save/restore the hardware clock etc.?

The kernel takes care of the RTC suspend/resume.

ntp has to be restarted.

And what happens if ntp is not restarted inmediately after resume?
looks like a bug, is there a bug report about that?

No idea if there is a bug report. I'm sure it is working as designed,
time servers should not be ever powered off, after all. Hibernating is
not the proper thing to do in that scenario - it is a different scenario.

On restore from hibernation it just tries to keep sync with previous
time servers, but the clock is no longer in exact sync. It the
difference is large it can take many hours to sync again, or even
abort and exit. A restart ensures that you get the right pool of
servers, that it does a step sync, then starts the daemon.

If you think this is a bug, _you_ talk with the ntp designers, not me
(most likely I would agree with them).

Another example: dovecot. It strongly dislikes clock changes, it can
crash on them. It prints warning and errors after hibernation:

<2.4> 2013-11-28 14:00:09 Telcontar dovecot - - - imap: Warning:
Time jumped forwards 28271 seconds <2.4> 2013-11-28 14:00:09
Telcontar dovecot - - - imap: Warning: Time jumped forwards 28407
seconds <2.4> 2013-11-28 14:00:09 Telcontar dovecot - - - imap:
Warning: Time jumped forwards 30034 seconds

There are many things that can break without pm-utils. If they are
going to be dropped and replaced, you devs have to investigate more.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.