[opensuse-factory] Re: Syncing fixes between mkinitrd and dracut
On Mon, Oct 21, Thomas Renninger wrote:

Hi,

On Monday, October 21, 2013 05:25:01 PM Olaf Hering wrote:
On Thu, Oct 17, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
there is a new request [1] for mkinitrd fixing few bugs for openSUSE
Factory.
If there are fixes for mkinitrd, they should still go in.
It's still possible to switch back to mkinitrd, especially for finding
issues/incompatibilities with dracut via:
rpm -e dracut --nodeps
zypper install mkinitrd

A few days ago we talked about this in person.

The outcome was to allow dracut to be installed in addition to mkinitrd.
As the next step dracut will create /boot/initramfs files, and all tools
fiddling with mkinitrd|mkinitrd_setup|initrd|/boot/initrd* will be
updated to call dracut instead of mkinitrd. And they will be updated to
handle /boot/initramfs* instead of /boot/initrd*. The only change
affecting kernel-binary.rpm is that an additional, empty ghost file
/boot/initramfs* has to be created to remove old initrds.

I already did a grep through the entire source tree. Packages matching
the pattern above were linked to home:olh:dracut. Now its my task to
wade through that and remove false matches, so that only affected
packages remain in that project.

But as a first step its required to step back and remove mkinitrd
conflicts from dracut, and to create /boot/initramfs* files. Whoever is
in charge for that, please make this change.

Olaf