On 11/08/2013 02:56 PM, Per Jessen pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Larry Finger wrote:

On 11/08/2013 11:41 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Friday, 2013-11-08 at 16:58 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

You are whining about removal of one particular package.

Please be civil. I simply made a proposal to focus on usability for
our
users. Personally I have no issue with downloading directly from
Adobe (as long as it lasts) and tightening my environment with
apparmor.

I agree.

If you just feel offended about the fact we removed your favorite
and popular application after the vendor stopped providing support
for it then I suggest you bring it forward to the vendor of the
named software.

No, I am not offended, I am merely puzzled by the lack of
consideration for the openSUSE user.

Me too. :-|

I disagree. The decision is a sign of consideration for the openSUSE
user. The people on this list have the necessary information for
evaluating the risk and avoiding any problems like this, but can you
say that for the average user? If you really want to run Adobe Reader,
install any suitable flavor of Windows in a Virtual Machine, share
your entire Linux disk with that VM, and boot it when you need to
process a PDF that okular cannot handle.

Larry, that is just not a viable alternative for the average user to
whom we should be catering. To anyone technically able, the lack of
acroread will only become a problem when it is no longer available for
download or no longer runs on one's distro. I can work with that for
my purposes until open-source alternatives have (hopefully) matured
sufficiently, but Joe Bloggs and his grandmum cannot. I am repeating
myself, but I remain puzzled by the lack of consideration for the
openSUSE user, average or otherwise. I sincerely hope we/openSUSE are
not turning into an ivory tower.

Does Microsoft supply Acrobat Reader to it's user base? The obvious answer is no, so how do the MS users get it installed on their PC's? They install it on their own. Just be thankful the openSUSE has been providing it via a repo for a number of years.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998