On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer
<wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 07.11.2013 14:31, schrieb Per Jessen:
a) download it from adobe yourself
b) use something else

are not good enough. If (a) was a real solution, why are we building
building a distro at all. (b) is not a solution because there is no
100% replacement for acroread.
To the other comment: We are building a distribution out of free
software to make it easy for people to start working immediately.
acroread is not part of the operating system, it's not OSS, it's not
maintained which for non-OSS means, it's vulnerable by design and I
guess its track record proves that it is highly vulnerable.

More plain explanation:

We didn't build an open source distribution to run commerical
software. That's, well, at least not the aim for a community project.
Commerical software ran before because the company behind it (Adobe)
wanted to have it running. It was not because we work hard to have it
(of course, still some work done). It's a close-source stuff so
basically we totally have no idea of what's inside that black box.
It's not even built from source but from binary. So basically, the
only difference between the rpm downloaded from Adobe and the one in
our repository is just where it's download from. There're no superior
bits in our rpm.

And you can even take that we had acroread in non-oss before as a
side-effect. It's simply because when SUSE Linux made the deal with
Adobe, it took us into consideration and made sure the deal covers
openSUSE too. or acroread didn't suppose to be here at all. So
besically it's not a "take away". I'd better take it as: I used some
applications misplaced and doesn't belong to me.

Marguerite