  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 19:21:13 +0100
Bernhard Voelker wrote:

On November 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think we ought to keep acroread in the distro simply because it's
about usability.  The current suggestions:

Usability ... hmm, well, my first concern is security.
If someone trusts the unmaintained stuff, then he/she should install
it.

a) download it from adobe yourself
b) use something else

c) if someone is really interested, why doesn't he maintain his own
version in OBS?

We really ought to keep our focus on the general/default user, not our
own narrow-minded use-cases. I also have no problem with installing
acroread myself or even using okular (still a bit kludgy imho), but
Grandma Brown and her support-grandson most probably will see things
differently. I know my 70-something year old mother would.

are not good enough.  If (a) was a real solution, why are we building
building a distro at all.  (b) is not a solution because there is no
100% replacement for acroread.

By removing acroread, we are sacrificing critical usability because
of a rule about unmaintained software.  I suggest we reconsider and
wait until the alternatives have caught up.  Once we have a mature
plug-compatible alternative, we can remove acroread.

Now, as there have been many complaints about okular and other
replacements here on this list: honestly, does anyone have opened a
bug for it?

Let's not open that can of worms. People have probably looked at okular
then installed acroread. Problem solved.
I use acroread because I need some assurance that whatever PDF's I
produce will look correct/appropriate in the tool used by my customers.

... hmm, I guess no, and so will it be until users are
starting to use other things than acroread ... and they won't start
until that package is removed.

You definitely are not wearing your user-friendly cap. :-(

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.9°C)