  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 14:48:06 +0100
Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

Am 07.11.2013 14:31, schrieb Per Jessen:
I think we ought to keep acroread in the distro simply because it's
about usability. The current suggestions:

a) download it from adobe yourself
b) use something else

are not good enough. If (a) was a real solution, why are we building
building a distro at all. (b) is not a solution because there is no
100% replacement for acroread.

By removing acroread, we are sacrificing critical usability because
of a
rule about unmaintained software. I suggest we reconsider and wait
until the alternatives have caught up. Once we have a mature
plug-compatible alternative, we can remove acroread.

"unmaintained" alone is not the big deal. But known exploited security
issues probably are.

None were mentioned sofar, but yes, if they endanger the average user's
system and open it to abuse, that is certainly a problem.

Unmaintained software can still get band-aids to fix security stuff
usually if it's OSS. Shipping acroread further means putting known
security backdoors into user's systems.

For any new users, perhaps.

To the other comment: We are building a distribution out of free
software to make it easy for people to start working immediately.

Precisely. Not including important software doesn't enable to people to
start working immediately.

In case of PDF they are good enough though.

Not judging by the current on that topic. Btw, do I need to do
something special to make Okular support multiple document in one
window (tabbed) ?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.8°C)