  • From: Luiz Fernando Ranghetti <elchevive68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 11:44:34 -0200
2013/11/7 Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I think we ought to keep acroread in the distro simply because it's
about usability. The current suggestions:

a) download it from adobe yourself
b) use something else

are not good enough. If (a) was a real solution, why are we building
building a distro at all. (b) is not a solution because there is no
100% replacement for acroread.

By removing acroread, we are sacrificing critical usability because of a
rule about unmaintained software. I suggest we reconsider and wait
until the alternatives have caught up. Once we have a mature
plug-compatible alternative, we can remove acroread.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.0°C)

Hi,

I, as a regular user, never installed acroread and used what is installed
by default to read/print pdfs (okular in my case), so this drop means no
usability lost for my case.

Of course Carlos case is a valid case and indeed he needs acroread, but is
a corner case.

Regards,

Luiz