Am 07.11.2013 14:31, schrieb Per Jessen:
I think we ought to keep acroread in the distro simply because it's
about usability. The current suggestions:

a) download it from adobe yourself
b) use something else

are not good enough. If (a) was a real solution, why are we building
building a distro at all. (b) is not a solution because there is no
100% replacement for acroread.

By removing acroread, we are sacrificing critical usability because of a
rule about unmaintained software. I suggest we reconsider and wait
until the alternatives have caught up. Once we have a mature
plug-compatible alternative, we can remove acroread.

"unmaintained" alone is not the big deal. But known exploited security
issues probably are. Unmaintained software can still get band-aids to
fix security stuff usually if it's OSS.
Shipping acroread further means putting known security backdoors into
user's systems.

To the other comment: We are building a distribution out of free
software to make it easy for people to start working immediately.
acroread is not part of the operating system, it's not OSS, it's not
maintained which for non-OSS means, it's vulnerable by design and I
guess its track record proves that it is highly vulnerable.

And I really would hope we could ditch Flash now but the alternatives
there are not really existant yet.
In case of PDF they are good enough though.

Wolfgang